We not only treat TMJ symptoms but also aim to diagnose the underlying cause of your specific TMJ disorder. We use the most state-of-the-art, proven and accepted non-invasive diagnostic equipment available to help identify your particular trigger(s) – including BOTOX injections at trigger points. We employ leading technologies and the best modern techniques and medical devices to treat your unique TMJ. Our aim at is to provide the very best TMJ treatment on the market.
Probably one of the best dental experiences I’ve ever had (if one can say such a thing). The technicians I had were very knowledgeable, professional, and friendly – could have easily mistaken one of them for the dentist. The dentist herself was very knowledgeable, confident, and ready to work. I can give no higher recommendation then to say that I no longer have TMJ. ~ YELP
What exactly is TMJ?
TMJ disorder is not one actual symptom but rather a collection of symptoms that affect the temporomandibular joint. TMJ has many causative factors the more common of which are malocclusion or tooth misalignment problems in the way the teeth fit together (this why it is best to seek a TMJ specialist dentist).
Other possible causes of TMJ disorder, including bruxism (grinding of the teeth), degenerative conditions affecting the joints (such as arthritis) and injuries or traumas that have affected the jaw (such as a sporting injury or car accident). A TMJ disorder is essentially a disruption in the action of the jaw, usually accompanied by pain, and is a treatable condition.
Examples of TMJ Disorder Symptoms Include:
- Stiffness in the joint
- Pain behind the eyes
- Restricted range of movement
- Clicking and popping noises when you move your jaw or open your mouth
- Certain types of headaches, sometimes of migraine proportions
- Ringing in the ears, hearing loss, “plugged” ears, ear pain
- Tenderness of the jaw muscles
- Difficulty opening the mouth
- Difficulty chewing
- Dull aching pain around the ear
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Jaw pain
- Scalp tenderness
- Inability to fully open the jaw
- Neck and / or throat pain
How is TMJ Treated?
At Sutton Advanced Cosmetic Dentistry in NYC, we use T-scan and JVA analysis to help determine the level of care required. Our aim is to reduce the underlying causes and provide permanent relief. TMJ treatments are unique and vary from patient to patient. Treatments may include:
- To relieve symptoms and allow the jaw to function correctly we may recommend that a custom night-guard is worn
- To resolve the symptoms of TMJ syndrome we may need to change the shape of some teeth, replace missing teeth with dental implants or even move teeth
- Stress is also linked, and stress relieving exercises are encouraged
We welcome any questions that you may have so please drop us an email or phone us to arrange a consultation and take the first step to enjoying life without TMJ.
Sutton Advanced Cosmetic Dentistry in NYC
Mojgan Fajiram, DDS
400 East 56th St.
New York, NY 10022