Sleep Apnea Specialist NYC | Doctor Mojgan Fajiram
Sutton Advanced Cosmetic Dentistry in NYC (located in Midtown East, steps from the Upper East Side) is a best in class leader in diagnostic and treatment services for people with sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a condition in which people experience pauses in breathing, or shallow breathing, during sleep.
Our top rated best in class NYC cosmetic dentist provide sleep apnea treatments within an integrated model of health care, utilizing state-of-the-art scientific technology and expertise in the diagnosis of sleep problems. This is combined with a comprehensive medical and dental package that is individually tailored for every patient.
Symptoms of Sleep Apnea
- Loud snoring, which is usually more prominent in obstructive sleep apnea
- Episodes of breathing cessation during sleep, after witnessed by another person
- Abrupt awakenings accompanied by shortness of breath, which more likely indicates central sleep apnea
- Difficulty staying asleep (insomnia)
- Excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia)
- Attention problems
- Headaches in the morning
- Waking up with a dry mouth or sore throat
- Difficulty learning or concentrating during the day
- Waking up frequently in the night to urinate
What is Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea is a common sleep issue that seems to often affect more males than females; it happens during sleep where someone stops breathing for about 10 seconds. This lack of breathing usually happens several times an hour and through the night. This leads to a cascade of events that could involve decreased brain function, heart disease, lack of energy, and other metabolic disorders.
Previously, sleep apnea was associated with overweight issues, but it certainly occurs in people at a healthy weight as well.
Types of Sleep Apnea
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea is the most common type of sleep apnea – it occurs when the soft tissue in the back of your throat relaxes during sleep and blocks the airway, often causing you to snore loudly
- Central Sleep Apnea is a much less common type of sleep apnea that involves the central nervous system, occurring when the brain fails to signal the muscles that control breathing – people with Central Sleep Apnea seldom snore
- Complex sleep apnea is a combination of Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Central Sleep Apnea
What if Sleep Apnea is Not Treated
- Sleep apnea has been implicated in multiple accidents (train accidents, motor vehicle accidents)
- Sleep apnea has also been reported to be a common reason for several divorces
- Health consequences include hypertension, heart attack, stroke, obesity, diabetes, heart failure, arrhythmia
Why a Dental Device
Dental devices are FDA-approved and well research modality for the management of sleep apnea. They tend to be less cumbersome than a C-PAP / C-PAT machine. Most dental devices tend to move the jaw forward creating an unobstructed pathway for breathing in oxygen (and eliminates snoring and sleep apnea).
We welcome any questions pertaining to sleep apnea that you may have so please drop us an email or phone us to arrange a consultation and take the first step to enjoying life without sleep apnea. For more information or to schedule a sleep apnea consultation with the best in class NYC cosmetic dentist please feel free to contact us:
Sutton Advanced Cosmetic Dentistry
Mojgan Fajiram, DDS
400 East 56th Street
New York, New York 10022