TMJ SPECIALIST DENTIST IN NYC
The temporomandibular (jaw) joint, or TMJ, can be damaged, causing pain and many other uncomfortable symptoms. TMJ disorder, also called TMD, is a common oral concern that can impact your quality of life. Uncovering the cause of TMJ disorders is vital to determine the best TMJ treatment plan. At Sutton Advanced Cosmetic Dentistry in NYC Midtown East, a block from the Upper East Side, we are TMJ specialists. We not only treat TMJ symptoms but also aim to diagnose the underlying cause of your specific TMJ disorder to improve your overall oral health.
Our cosmetic and TMJ dentists use advanced, state-of-the-art technology to perform diagnostics on our TMJ disorder patients. We use the latest non-invasive diagnostic equipment available to help identify your particular trigger(s). Each patient with a TMJ disorder is unique and requires a personalized treatment plan to obtain the desired results. We employ leading technologies and the best modern techniques and medical devices to treat your unique TMJ disorder. Our aim at Sutton Advanced Cosmetic Dentistry is to provide the very best TMJ treatment in NYC.
WHAT EXACTLY IS TMJ?
TMJ disorder is not one condition but rather a collection of symptoms that affect the temporomandibular joint. TMJ has many causative factors, the more common of which are malocclusion or tooth misalignment problems in the way the teeth fit together (this is why it is best to seek a TMJ specialist dentist).
Other possible causes of TMJ disorder, include bruxism (teeth grinding), degenerative conditions affecting the joints (such as arthritis) and injuries or traumas that have affected the jaw (such as a sporting injury or car accident). A TMJ disorder is essentially a disruption in the action of the jaw, usually accompanied by pain, and is a treatable condition. Effective treatment is focused on the cause of the strain on the jaw joint, relieving the accompanying symptoms.
TMJ DISORDER SYMPTOMS
When the jaw joint is damaged or not working correctly, it can affect more than just the jaw. While jaw and facial pain are the most common complaints, many patients have a wide variety of radiating symptoms. Some of the symptoms that can be included with a TMJ disorder include:
- Stiffness in the jaw joint
- Pain behind the eyes
- Restricted range of mouth/jaw movement
- Clicking and popping noises when you move your jaw or open your mouth
- Certain types of headaches, sometimes of migraine proportions
- Ringing in the ears, hearing loss, “plugged” ears or ear pain
- Tenderness of the jaw muscles
- Difficulty opening the mouth
- Difficulty chewing
- Dull aching pain around the ear
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Jaw pain
- Scalp tenderness
- Inability to fully open the jaw
- Neck and/or throat pain
Each patient may have a different combination of symptoms, depending on the cause of their jaw dysfunction and the severity of the disorder.
HOW IS TMJ TREATED?
At Sutton Advanced Cosmetic Dentistry in NYC, we use T-scan and JVA analysis to help determine the level of care required. Our aim is to reduce the underlying causes and provide permanent relief. TMJ treatments are unique and vary from patient to patient. Treatments may include:
- Custom nightguard -To relieve symptoms and allow the jaw to function correctly, we may recommend you wear a custom night guard.
- Dental treatments – To resolve the symptoms of TMJ syndrome, we may need to change the shape of some teeth, replace missing teeth with dental implants or even move teeth.
- Stress management – Stress is also linked to TMD, so stress relieving exercises are encouraged.
- Orthodontics – Misalignment can contribute to TMJ, which may be relieved with Invisalign® clear aligners. We are a certified Platinum Elite Invisalign provider.
- Trigger point injections – Botox® injections may be recommended in trigger points to relieve TMJ symptoms.
Probably one of the best dental experiences I’ve ever had (if one can say such a thing). The technicians I had were very knowledgeable, professional, and friendly – could have easily mistaken one of them for the dentist. The dentist herself was very knowledgeable, confident, and ready to work. I can give no higher recommendation then to say that I no longer have TMJ.
We welcome any questions pertaining to TMJ disorder treatment that you may have, so please drop us an email or phone us to arrange a consultation. Take the first step to enjoying life without TMJ – contact us at our East Midtown office in Manhattan, just a block away from the UES.
Sutton Advanced Cosmetic Dentistry
400 E 56th St, Suite 1
New York, NY 10022
Call (212) 751-5665